The Commuter Alternative Program (CAP) promotes sustainable travel options for UNC employees. Taking the bus, ridesharing, biking, and walking to campus are more rewarding than driving alone. These alternatives save money and are healthier for you and the community.
To join the Commuter Alternative Program, choose the mode below which you will use most for your commute:
- Bicycle: Your participation helps us show the need for better bike lanes and facilities. Also, be sure to register your bike to deter theft.
- Chapel Hill Transit (CHT): Free to ride around Chapel Hill and Carrboro! Choose this option if you take the bus from home.
- Triangle Transit (GoPass): Free GoPass* for commuting from Durham, Raleigh, Hillsborough and other areas in the Triangle. The GoPass is offered to employees and students who live outside of the CHT service area and use Triangle Transit to get to UNC. This pass is also accepted on DATA buses in Durham.
- Park & Ride: Cheaper than on-campus parking, this annual permit is for the UNC and Town of Chapel Hill/Carrboro Park & Ride lots served by Chapel Hill Transit.
- Pittsboro Express (PX): Free with a PX Pass for commuting from Pittsboro. This pass is offered to permanent employees and students who live off campus.
- Rideshare (Carpool): Free, secure carpool-matching is provided through ShareTheRideNC.
- Rideshare (Vanpool): $20 per month off the fare of a Triangle Transit or PART vanpool. This discount is provided to permanent employees and students who do not have a parking permit.
- Walk: Your participation helps us show the need for more sidewalks and intersection improvements.
Benefits of CAP:
All CAP members receive a discount card to use at local restaurants and shops and are entered into random prize drawings.
Permanent employees may print 1 free permit per month to be used in any of the S11 lots on Skipper Bowles Drive or in any UNC or Town Park & Ride lot.
The annual rate for CAP members is just $10!
Commuters who use a UNC Park & Ride or who live in Chapel Hill or Carrboro can get a free ride home for emergencies.
Employees can get a free rental car or taxi ride home for emergencies. Both students and employees can use P2P’s Emergency Ride Back for areas within Chapel Hill/Carrboro by calling 919-843-7671.
Monthly E-Newsletter –“Commuter News” includes promotions, events, transit alerts, traffic detours, and more.
*GoPass Replacement Policy: Employees who lose their original GoPass may get one free replacement. Additional replacements may be purchased for $25.